Monday, January 14, 2013

Packing Suggestions.

You know when you are packing for a trip sometimes how it seems overwhelming? Like what if you are forgetting to bring something you might need? What if you think the weather is going to be hot the whole time and suddenly a cold front sweeps in and you have no warm clothes? What if you don't pack enough? What if you pack too much? And so on and so forth.

Turning 23 made me think a lot about packing for a trip. My trip is going to last a whole year, and it is going to be a trip that shapes me for the rest of my life. When I turned 23 I realized that I was over-thinking my packing, in the sense that I was worrying too much about relationships that I had with people and where they stood or doubts I had about where life was going to take me. I was thinking about so many random scenarios which may or may never happen to me. In all this over thinking while packing I realized that when you go on a trip, it doesn't matter if you left something behind, if you need it, you can always get it or someone can always help. 

I was starting to become oddly pessimistic last year and very negative which those were two things that were very unlike me. Why? That was the question I kept asking myself I have never been known to be pessimistic or negative, normally people say I'm overly optimistic and positive. I didn't like that part of me, I loved my life and 22 was nothing but good to me and yet still I had this sense of negativity that swooped in without me realizing it. 

Lucky for me I am a clever girl and I figured out that all that negative stuff was just baggage. Baggage I'd been carrying and I didn't even realize why I was. It was like packing a pair of flip flops and shorts when I'm going to the snow, why waste the suitcase space? Although they are all little items that can fit inside my suitcase and I can still have room to pack other things, those little things I'd be carrying with me were useless.
The little things that added up to my negativity and pessimism were all USELESS. What do those things matter anyway? Why should I let those things, whatever they may be, take up space in my suitcase when I could bring something else of value, or even better make room for new items. 

When we go on trips we end up inevitably bring back souvenirs or buy something we want to take back with us. With extra room in your suitcase you have room for those items. I've come a long way since I started my 20s but one thing I don't think I've been as good at is opening myself up to more opportunities. Opportunities are rare, just like certain items you might find along a trip, sometimes you think it would be easier and cheaper to just stick with what you have and not invest in something you don't already have. Not this year folks, and hopefully I won't be doing that again,  letting opportunities, people and moments pass me by that I should be holding on to.

The baggage of my past, in all its forms of doubts, insecurities, negativity and fear are going to do just that and stay in my past, I'd rather live my life being hopeful, confident, positive and faithful. Out with the bad on with the good. 

Don't let the baggage of your past, no matter what it may be get in the way of who you are meant to be and the happiness you can have. Get rid of whatever is holding you back and choose happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment