Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Iron Sharpens Iron

"Iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend"-Proverbs 27:17

Sometimes I think we get caught up in having a lot of friends to hang out with, that we forget to think about the quality of people we are surrounding ourselves with. It is not worth it to have a lot of friends so you can have options of people to hang out with when you are feeling lonely or bored. There is not a point to be around people who don't make you a better person. There is no point to be in a "friendship" with somebody who hurts you with their words, or constantly lies. Friendships that survive are friendships where each person can trust the other person, where lies don't have to be told to make themselves look better. Iron sharpens iron. Don't waste your time hanging out with people who don't make you be the best version of yourself. There are so many television shows and movies that show people being friends with bad people saying "they are okay once you get to know them" when in reality the friend they are describing is not a nice person, they just put up with it. I believe in kindness, I believe in forgiveness, I believe in helping out your fellow person. What I don't believe in is being in a friendship with somebody who doesn't make me feel good about myself, someone to who doesn't encourage me, support me in my failures and successes, or surrounding myself with someone who tears other people down or makes up lies about other people just to make themselves look better. I'd rather have a few good friends who help me be a better person, who pray for me, who remind me that kindness, honesty and truth matter. As sad as it may seem to end a friendship with somebody who you have fun times with, just ask yourself, does this person make me into a better person or hold me accountable to be a good person? If the answer is no, maybe you should rethink your friends. Good people are out there who are good friends, people who will love you and accept you and make you into a better person without you even realizing it. Iron sharpens iron...remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment