Friday, September 16, 2011

The Only Chance You've Got

So I'll admit it, I inspired myself :)

I'll explain...

My most recent blog was my list of things to do in life and it was so fun to share that with all of you, and while writing I was reflecting and thinking about all the people I've had in my life who have helped me along the way. So there's your explanation, and here is my newest blog

The Only Chance You've Got

We only have one life. We can't turn back time and erase the bad or even just so we can relive the happy. We can't pause life and think about it long and hard before we have to make a critical decision. Simply, right now is all we are guaranteed.

How did you get to this moment to where you are at this very second?
What brought you here?
What shaped the choices you've made along the way?
Who was by your side at your thriumphs?
Who was by your side at your failures?

All of these were questions I've sat long and thought hard about lately.

We get so caught up in reasons why friendships or relationships fail. We all get so mad and build up so much anger toward people who were there for us in every way at one point in our lives. I know I have done that, I think of the stupid things that have been said by me who might have driven away a good person, I think of the times when something seemed like such a big deal it pushed certain people out of my life, I've made lists i my head of what people have done wrong to me and only focused on that.

WHY?

I got angry sitting here thinking asking myself WHY?

I do believe that certain people are supposed to be in your life for a reason, like to help you get through a rough spot, or there to make the "fun times funner" (had to used a Ramona and Beezus Quote)

You can't stay close with every person you've ever had shared a moment with in your life, that would be near impossible to stay close to EVERY person you've had help you and shape you and laugh with you and cry with you, well that list is pretty long...I know mine is pretty long and I'm only 21.

But that is my problem, and maybe it is yours too, I think of all the CAN'Ts.

"I can't be friends with them anymore that one time when we were Juniors in High School and she said that one thing about me."
"I can't talk to him I'll be so embarrassed"
"I can't face them after what I heard them say about me"
"I can't talk to him again he's my ex boyfriend from High School"
"I can't reach out to her because she won't even care"
"I can't swallow my pride, facing them is going to be too tough"
"I can't be nice to that person, they said something really awful about me a long time ago"

What I never thought of was the I CANs

"I can try to see what she's up to, we haven't talked in forever and High School was so long ago"
"I can talk to him, what do I have to lose?"
"I can try to see if what they said about me were true"
"I can be civil with my ex boyfriend from High School"
"I can try to reach out to her again, what if she cares now"
"I can swallow my pride"
"I can be nice to them, that was a really long time ago"

We just focus so much on the bad. As a culture we thrive on hearing bad things happen, what is the ratio of good news to bad news we hear? We are negative more often than we realize and that is sad. Why not be positive? Why not tell your waitress' manager they've done a good job instead of only telling them when the waitress has done bad? Why not track down someone you've lost touch with just to see how they are doing? Why not tell someone if you really like their hair or outfit? Why not report the good news to you friends only and leave the rumors you've heard aside?

I am not urging you to track down a ex boyfriend or best friend you may have had and try to make them your current boyfriend or current best friend.

After doing my list of things to do in life blog I felt a wave of thankfulness come over me. I have met some really great people in my life, they've stood by my side when I was wrong and right, they held me when I cried, they made me laugh til my sides ached, they helped me get through certain moments of my life. And I was focusing on the bad things they had done and looking back in the rear view mirror is clearer than when your driving in the current moment. I know that the people that are currently in my life are the people that are meant to be, and the ones I've loved along the way will always hold a place in my mind and heart, but we've only got one life and we can't live it in the past trying to mend every fence, trying to repair every window you've thrown a stone though. What we can do is take an opportunity when given one, if you run into someone you've had drama with in High School, get over it. Life is too short and for me High School was only 4 years ago and it feels like an eternity, and you may have been out longer. Stop talking bad about what someone did so long ago, they may  have led you to the people you have surrounding you in your life now.

Be more thankful and be less cynical.

You've only got one life, and you might feel better if you take the weight off you've been carrying for that grudge.

So how about you be kind, be compassionate, be thoughtful, be optimistic because you can be, we all can be

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, its what you leave behind you when you are gone" Randy Travis.

No comments:

Post a Comment