Sunday, September 11, 2011

When the world stopped turning I was 11 years old

We are the land of the free because of the BRAVE.

September 11, 2001
A day now marked in history books forever, just like World War I and World War II, but I never lived during WWI or WWII, I was only in sixth grade when tragedy struck America on 9/11/01, but just because I was 11 doesn't mean that I don't remember exactly how I heard about the news, and how my day went.

Do you ever hear the house phone ring at the random hours in the late night or early morning that you just know something bad was happening? I almost always wake up to those calls, calls about family members or friends passing away. Normally I would sleep through anything, I've even slept through our fire alarm going off in the middle of the night because the batteries were dead. Its like I've been wired to wake up to the important calls, but those important calls are normally aways tragic. I woke up to the phone ringing and my mom answering it and talking and then I heard the TV come on my mom told me and my sisters to go in the living room and watch what was happening...I was in shock, as the rest of America was, but I honestly didn't even know what the twin towers were.  I had never learned about the World Trade Center yet, but I did on the very historical sad day that became on 9/11. I had so many questions, my mom answered them as best as she could but then she told me and my sisters to get ready for school.

My mom was a first grade teacher at that time so it was very important for her to be at school for her students. I remember walking to my wing of the school, nobody was outside playing before school, everyone was in the classroom or stayed home. I walked past the other classrooms and I vividly remember walking past a fifth grade room that the blinds were open, they all were gathered around the TV with their jaws dropped. I went to my class room where we tried to comprehend it all, but such an act was something we all couldn't wrap our minds around.

I remember the fear I felt wondering where would be next and how many attacks were going to happen. Going about the day in a normal way was not an option, that was a very abnormal day for everyone.

I was only 11 but I thought of everyone else, the people who were trapped, watching the people that had jumped, the people who walked away, the firefighters and others who worked so hard at trying to save everyone, the families of the people who had passed away, the families who didn't know where their loved one was, if they were trapped, if they were scared, if they were okay.

The bravery that was shown that day, and the years following amazed me and amaze me more looking back... People risked their lives for this country and still risk their lives today. So many brave men and women signed up for the military willingly to show those people who did that to us, that AMERICA WAS STRONG, AMERICA WAS BRAVE, AMERICA DOESN'T BACK DOWN, AMERICA WON'T GIVE UP.

We all banned together truly ONE NATION UNDER GOD UNITED AS ONE! We wore red, white and blue, hung flags in the yard, donated blood, helped out our fellow Americans, wanted the same goal, and had such pride.

I haven't forgotten how I felt when I was 11, now 21 I look bad and I feel sad about what happened, and I'm sad about what is happening, that drive and passion that we had for our country, that unity that we all shared, the willingness to help out a fellow American is faded, its not there anymore.

I know that tragedies bring people together, I know that tragedies change people forever on the inside, but how about on the outside? Why have we, the ones who watched the news coverage live, and the ones who walked from the rubble or lost someone along these past 10 years because of 9/11, why have we lost the passion for our country? The pride in our country?

I still have pride, and I know that others do as well, I'm not saying that all of us have written off our country, but I wish we could feel that way again for our country, saluting the brave, praying for each other, wearing red, white and blue, flying the American Flag in our yards, holding the doors for strangers, donating blood, supporting the troops and all those things we did when we were in the moment ten years ago.

I reflect on September 11, 2001 today, as well with all you Americans, and I still feel the pain in my heart for those who didn't make it out alive from that day, who went into the fires to get people out, who have since faught for our country and then lost their lives, for all of those children who won't know their grandparents, parents, aunts or uncles, for all those parents who lost their children. For anyone who got a devastating last phone call, for all of those who lost their sister or brother, best friend or cousin. For the people who had to deliever the news to our country, for President George W. Bush for having to be the one who decided what the next step was, for people like me, who didn't really know anyone personally but still felt deeply affected.

Be Proud to be an American again.
Take out the flag and wave it with pride.
Stop and cover your heart and be quiet when you hear the National Anthem being played.
Thank a person in uniform for defending our country and protecting us.
Be kind to your fellow Americans.
Hold your family tight and let them know you love them.
Pray for our armed forces, pilots, firemen, policemen, nurses, doctors, the fallen, and so on.
God Bless You
GOD BLESS AMERICA

No comments:

Post a Comment