Monday, January 20, 2014

Avo Velma Inspired.

My blog is titled, "Laugh Always, Be Kind, Drink Milkshakes, Thank God" and today  I was thinking about my Avo Velma (grandma) because she is not doing well and has been on my mind even more so lately and it dawned on me that my blog title describes how my Avo has influenced my life, without even realizing it when I named my blog, the values I held so high, inspired by my Avo Velma.


Laugh always. I think anyone who has ever come in contact with my Avo Velma knows that she is a laugher. Her laughter is infectious. She is our family's ray of sunshine. She can instantly light up a room with her smile and laugh. With the Portuguese & English barrier in the way, she'd laugh through it, she'd laugh when she would try to tell us something in broken English, laugh when we tried to speak Portuguese to her, laugh when she'd try to speak Portuguese to us and we'd have no idea what she said, and she'd laugh when we'd speak English to her and she'd have no idea what we were talking about. She laughs. Even while she has been slowing leaving this world, she's managed to laugh. Yesterday I heard her laughter, and I'm almost certain that will be the last time I will, and I'm so thankful I heard it one last time. She's an incredible woman with an incredible spirit who has always brought laughter to my life and I carry that value with me.

Be Kind. She has always been kind to every person she is around. I have never met a person who did not like my Avo Velma. She is such a kind spirit, always smiling and waving. Smiles and waves are known in every language. Her happiness shows through in all she does. She also has been kind to others, she's always saying "thank you" or "please" and she'd gift away everything she has. She is so skilled with the gift of being able to crochet/knit and she'd make beautiful blankets and scarves for people just because. She is always so thoughtful and kind.

Drink Milkshakes. One of my Avo Velma's favorite things to drink is a milkshake. Even with her diabetes she'd always make an exception for milkshakes. Some of the moments I cherish the most with her are spent sipping on milkshakes. It is such a sweet treat and just makes you feel good. I got to give her one last milkshake yesterday and although she didn't drink nearly half as much as she normally does, I was happy to see her enjoy one final milkshake. We get so caught up in counting calories and watching what we eat or sticking to certain diets that we don't allow ourselves the simple joy of a milkshake, make the exception for the milkshake every once and awhile, Velma did, and she was always happy.

Thank God. I'm blessed to have grown up around a woman who has such strong faith. She was always praying the rosary, listening to mass on the radio, getting communion brought to her, and was always supportive of us in our walks with God as well. She'd tell us she was praying for us, and God listened to her prayers. My Avo was really worried about my cousin, Lisa because she was living in a place that had rats in it at one point, and was really out of her price range, making it hard to get by. She was always asking if Lisa had found another place to live. Thankfully, my parents offered Lisa a room to stay with us in our house and when my Avo got the news she was very happy. She put her hand over her heart and even said that it made her very happy that Lisa has a place to live. She also was concerned about me finding a job. She was so proud of me graduating college, she wanted me to be able to put my hardwork to use and would ask me after interviews how they went, and would ask me about Foster Farms especially, and on Wednesday I told my Avo that I got a job at Foster Farms and her face was priceless, she was so excited. As I was leaving that night, she grabbed my arm and put her hand over her heart and said, it made her very happy that I have work. I know that she was thanking God that her prayers for her granddaughters came true. She is finally in a place where she doesn't have any worries left, she's thanked God for all the many people surrounding her and the time He's given her on Earth. She's been faithful to Him all the days of her life and is truly an inspiration to me.

She's shaped me in such a way that these four things are things I value so much. I hope that I can inspire others in the way that she has inspired me over the years with what she has instilled in me. I am a better person for knowing such a caring, cheerful and compassionate woman. As she is living out her final time left on earth, I just want her to feel the love that I have in my heart for her, for all she has done for me, you don't have to speak the same language to know the power of love.

God bless this beautiful woman and the world is a better place for having her in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment